Looking for a product for dry, damaged, natural hair? This is a Dark and Lovely Au Naturale Super Softening Hair Butter Review (from part of their Anti-Breakage product line):
*This Post Contains Affiliate Links. Thank you for your support*
What is it the Au Naturale Super Softening Hair Butter?
In the words of Dark and Lovely:
Quench dry hair with a delectable, hydrating treat just for your breaking, transitioning hair. Hair feels nourished and supple without the build-up or greasy transfer. – For Dry, Damaged Hair – Moisturizes and reconstructs damaged hair for supple, shiny finish.
Okay, so while I’m not transitioning, the breakage struggle is real for my Natural Hair. (Due to me dyeing my hair, and sometimes … okay, often forgetting to sleep with my satin scarf on).
So in other words, this is a thick hair butter designed to prevent hair breakage.
How did I use the anti-breakage hair butter?
I used the Dark and Lovely Super Softening Hair Butter was used as part of my LOC method. In rotation with my other products, I used the butter as a Cream on top of whichever Leave-in and Oil I felt like using on that given wash day.
Other than that, I didn’t do anything out of the ordinary with this one. I would literally wash my hair, LOC method, then twist for bed. I think only once or twice did I try using the Super Softening Hair Butter on its own to refresh/seal in some additional moisture.
The Good and the Not-so-Good?
- I can’t fully describe it, as it wasn’t a familiar scent, but this product had a nice citrusy aroma to it. Maybe it was the Guarana Root?
- It is very, very thick. I find that this is extremely beneficial when I use it on wet hair. It helps lock in that extra moisture.
- I found that it really did reduce breakage. More specifically, I noticed this between wash days. Usually a few days after washing my curls, my natural hair is in dire need of a moisture refresh, or else it starts breaking. However, when using this anti-breakage butter, I didn’t see as many small hairs scattered around my sink mid-week.
- A little goes a long way. It took me a good couple months to work through this tub.
- I know I said the scent was nice, (and it really is) but I found it doesn’t play well with others. As mentioned, I used it mostly in conjunction with other products, and because the Hair Butter had such a strong scent on its own, it took over, and morphed the scent of my other products. The end result was me being a bit turned off, and not using it as often. If your other products are relatively scent-free, you probably wouldn’t have this problem!
- It does nothing for me on dry hair. Although the instructions say it can be used on both dry or damp hair, I found this not to be the case. I have relatively high-porosity hair, but still this stuff just sat on the top of my hair. It refused to soak in when dry. Wet hair gave it a little more encouragement, and it would eventually seep in, but dry was a no-go.
- Too heavy to use a refresher. Usually mid-week, I spray my hair with water and layer in a cream to give my curls a little more life… or just to dry and drag out time between my wash days. Because this product is so heavy, it weighs down my hair and doesn’t give my hair that healthy look I’m going for.
Would I buy it again?
While I really did love this product in my LOC method, I like my products to have more versatility. I like a little more bang for my buck. Because I couldn’t use this for anything else, for now, I will dabble in other products before purchasing. However, if you are someone who likes one Holy Grail for each use, and you are someone who struggles with breakage, I would still highly recommend this product!
So what did you think of this Dark and Lovely Au Naturale Super Softening Hair Butter Review? Have you tried it before (Or anything else in the Dark and Lovely Anti-Breakage Line)? If so, let me know what you think in the comments!
Make sure to catch the latest from Comfy Girl With Curls on Social Media!